Have you heard about Neuro Linguistic Programming, or NLP? It’s an incredibly useful behavioral science that can help you change your life.
Developed in the 1970s, it combines techniques from neurology, computer science, and linguistics to help people achieve their potential. Here’s what it is and how it works.
NLP has been described as the science of excellence in humans and involves modeling the language structure and behavior of successful people.
This means if you want to be a happy, successful person, you can’t go wrong by thinking, talking, and behaving the way happy, successful people do. And if you utilize NLP in your speech, you will be able to inspire and help others to take a course of action towards greater success, too!
Think of it this way….the conscious mind is the goal setter and the unconscious mind is the goal getter. The conscious mind uses 10%. It’s our “higher self” and who you are while the unconscious mind uses 90% and is responsible for all of our behavior. It creates the behaviors and does not match our goals. NLP is helping to create new neuro pathways and the neurotransmitters bathe every cell in the body.
Basic NLP Principles
There are many variants of NLP, so there is debate between some practitioners that others are doing it wrong. Even with these hot debates, though, the basic principles are the same, and all agree that it works to make your life more fulfilling.
The two biggest principles of NLP are that the map is not the territory, and that both life and mind are systemic processes. What do those principles mean? Let’s take a look at them and find out.
- The map is not the territory. This means that, as people, we have no way to actually understand reality. Instead, we understand our perceptions of that reality, and those perceptions may be flawed.
We use our senses to create a map of what we believe is there. These maps are what determine our behavior, not reality itself. If your map is skewed, you’ll behave in ways that are skewed, too.
- Life and mind are systemic processes. This means that the things going on inside your mind and body, and between you and your environment, can’t be isolated from one another. Trying to do so will not result in success.
Every NLP technique you encounter is based on these principles.These NLP techniques can help us understand how our brains work, how we store information, and how to change our behaviors to ones that are more desirable.
Here are some specific ways that NLP can help you:
- Career. NLP can help you be more effective in your career. It can build your skills in teamwork, personal development, coaching, leadership, sales, and productivity. No matter what it is, if there’s a potential for growth and human interaction is present, NLP can help.
2. Goal Achievement. You can use NLP to help you set and achieve goals, as long as those goals are intelligent, measurable, meaningful and achievable.
For example, no program can guarantee you earn three million dollars in a month unless you already have logical means to draw this income.
However, this method could be the one you use to successfully strengthen your skills and interactions with others. It can change the way you think and speak, and motivate you to take appropriate actions to achieve your goals.
3. Mental Health. NLP can help you overcome mental and emotional disorders and phobias.
4. NLP can bring you a happier and more fulfilling life.
If you’re interested in learning how to make a change in your life, NLP could be the tool you’ve been looking for.
Quite simply, NLP involves studying successful people and the steps they take to achieve such success. This success can come from any part of your life.
Overcoming phobias, learning how to speak with confidence in front of large groups, and learning how to have a loving personal relationship are all issues that can be helped with NLP techniques. Investigate your options with NLP; you’ll be surprised by the difference it can make in your life!